Latest dietary guidelines promote health
Damaris Karanja, MA
Nutrition & Health Education Specialist
The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans released earlier this year aim to promote health and obesity through improved nutrition and physical activity. The Dietary Guidelines are intended for people 2 years and older, including those at increased risk of chronic disease. Here’s a summary of changes to make:
* Enjoy your food, but eat less.
* Avoid oversized portions.
Foods to increase
* Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
* Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
Foods to reduce
* Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread and frozen meals.
* Choose the foods with lower numbers.
* Drink water instead of sugary drinks.