Follow these tips to keep your family safe during the holidays.
- Never use lighted candles on or near the tree or other evergreens.
Always use non-flammable holders and place candles where children and
pets cannot knock them over.
- Consider using reusable gift bags over wrapping paper. Do not burn
wrapping paper in the fireplace as flash fires may result.
- Keep fireplace screens in place at all times. Ashes should be
disposed of in a metal container.
- Live trees should be green, needles hard to pull from branches.
Check the water level daily.
- Look for "Fire Resistant" artificial trees which indicate
the tree will resist burning and should extinguish quickly. Place
trees away from fireplaces and radiators.
- Check the lights for frayed cords, bare wires, loose connections,
and broken plugs or sockets. Never use more then 3 sets of lights per
- Turn all tree lights off when no one is home or when everyone is
Source: Helpful hints to keep your holiday safe. (1999, November). Connected:
A Newsletter for Energy Customers, 5.
[ Home | Your
Money | Get Organized | Tightwad
Tidbits | Living Better | Safety &
Privacy | Buyer Beware | Kids &
Money | About CEU | Search ]
|Web site coordinators:
March 09, 2005
|Web site established
University of Missouri Extension does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national
origin, sex, religion, age, disability or status as a Vietnam-era veteran in employment or