University of Missouri Extension

Carbon Monoxide

You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes. Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from carbon monoxide poisoning. Unborn children, infants, elderly people, and those with anemia or a history of heart or respiratory disease can be especially susceptible. Know the symptoms. If you or your family is suffering from any of the following, you may want to check the possibility of carbon monoxide:

Do you suffer severe headaches
Experience dizziness,
mental confusion,
faintness,
or feel nauseated?

If so, you could be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. Get fresh air immediately, go to an emergency room, and tell the physician that you suspect CO poisoning.

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, have your fuel-burning appliances inspected by a trained professional at the beginning of every heating season.

Resource: http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov.coftsht.htm

                 

[ Home | Your Money | Get Organized | Tightwad Tidbits | Living Better | Safety & Privacy | Buyer Beware | Kids & Money | About CEU | Search ]


     
Web site coordinators:
Jamie Thompson
Sandra McKinnon
Site evaluation:
Cynthia Crawford
Last updated: March 09, 2005
Web site established by:
Kate Akers
Mark Belwood
Cynthia Crawford
Sandra McKinnon
Diana Hammond

University of Missouri Extension does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national
origin, sex, religion, age, disability or status as a Vietnam-era veteran in employment or programs.