University of Missouri Extension

 

Carbon Monoxide

Every year hundreds of people die from accidental exposure to carbon monoxide from faulty oil burners, gas heaters, fireplaces, and any device which has a flame. Automobiles are also a major but often overlooked source of deadly carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless gas that displaces the vital oxygen needed in our blood. Most people don’t know they’re being exposed until it is too late.

You can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning with the following precautions:

1. Have your utility company check flame operated appliances before the heating season.

2. Have your service dealer check the exhaust system on your car for leaks and for exhaust emissions.

3. Be careful in your attached garage - with the door closed and an engine idling exhaust gasses can accumulate quickly and fill the house with deadly CO.

[ Home | Your Money | Get Organized | Tightwad Tidbits | Living Better | Safety & Privacy | Buyer Beware | Kids & Money | About CEU | Search ]


     
Web site coordinators:
Jamie Thompson
Sandra McKinnon
Site evaluation:
Cynthia Crawford
Last updated: March 09, 2005
Web site established by:
Kate Akers
Mark Belwood
Cynthia Crawford
Sandra McKinnon
Diana Hammond

University of Missouri Extension does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national
origin, sex, religion, age, disability or status as a Vietnam-era veteran in employment or programs.