Retiree benefits corner

Now that you’re retired… whom do you contact with your retirement and benefits questions?

Tamra Robbins, MU Extension retirement and benefits coordinator, gives you the contact information and tips you’ll want to keep handy. Depending on how you retired, direct questions to the following offices.

If you retired with University of Missouri retirement:

MU Retirement Programs
Woodrail Centre,
1000 W. Nifong
Building 7, Suite 210
Columbia, MO 65211-8220
573-882-9810 or 800-488-5288
Fax: 573-884-5422

Online: University of Missouri retirees (this includes CSRS/FERS retirees with university benefits) have access to the university’s myHR site (after 30 days from the effective retirement date). These individuals are able to access the myHR website at

The website allows retirees to review their benefits and personal information records at the university. You can update your address, direct deposit, and federal and Missouri state tax witholdings information online. In addition, retirees with insurance may view their enrollments.

If you retired with federal retirement (Civil Service Retirement System [CSRS] or Federal Employees Retirement System [FERS]):

U.S. Office of Personnel Management:
Retirement Operations Center
P.O. Box 45
Boyers, PA 16017
888-767-6738 or TTY: 866-887-4957
Business hours are 7:40 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.(Early in the day Wednesdays and Thursdays are usually the best times to contact the office for shorter time on hold.)

Online: Retirees with federal retirement can manage much of their information on Federal Retirement Services Online (

  • Change your federal/state income tax withholding
  • Change your mailing address, update your email address or opt-in to receive information electronically
  • Change your password
  • Create an allotment to an organization
  • Set up a checking or savings allotment
  • Sign up for direct deposit
  • View or print annuity statement and verification of income
  • View or print 1099-R tax forms
  • View or print verification of life insurance (FEGLI)
  • View the status of your case while in interim pay

To use Federal Retirement Services Online, you must enter nine characters for your claim number.

  • For retirees, the claim number begins with an “A” and ends with a zero “0”. Therefore, you will enter “A” and the seven numbers, then the “0” zero suffix. For example: A11111110
  • For surviving spouses, the claim number begins with an “F” and ends with a “W”. Therefore you will enter “F” and the seven numbers, then the suffix “W”. For example: F1111111W
  • If you do not know your claim number, you will need to contact OPM at 1-888-767-6738. If you need to request a new password, go to

Federal (CSRS/FERS) retirees may also need to contact the Thrift Savings Plan:

Thrift Savings Plan
P.O. Box 385021
Birmingham, AL 35238
877-967-3778 or TDD: 877-847-4385
Fax: 1-866-817-5023

If you have any university benefits (like university insurance) in addition to your federal retirement benefits, you will also need to contact the MU Retirement Office (contact information listed above).