Agriculture Offerings

Private Pesticide Applicators 

Individuals needing to obtain or renew their Private Pesticide Applicator certification for the purchase of restricted use pesticides may come into the Nodaway County Extension office and watch the training video. The video run time is 2hr 17min. The training is free of charge with the exception of purchasing the Private Pesticide Applicator Training Reference Manual at a cost of $12. Family members can share one manual. The Nodaway County Extension office will schedule appointments prior to 2pm M-F, call 660-582-8101 to schedule your certification or renewal.


Cash Renting Farm Land

Cash renting farm land continues to be a popular choice among land owners who want to eliminate the risk of agriculture commodities on the land. Other rental agreements may include crop-share or a combination of cash rent and crop-share.  In a cash renting agreement the tenant pays a fixed amount to the landowner in exchange for the use of the land and any improvements to the land. With a cash rental agreement the tenant is free to make management decisions and receives all the profits. However, the renter assumes all the risk of production and must endure all the capitol expenses on the farm.  Cash renting can benefit the land owner by assuring them a fixed income on the farm and has no worries about price risk and the uncertainty of yields.

The University of Missouri released the results of their most recent cash rent survey in the 2018 Cash Rental Rates in Missouri. These rates were compiled using the survey responses of 228 Missourians who are involved with cash renting farm land. Every rent situation is different so this guide should be used as a reference in addition to considering other factors in your area, including: average yield, soil types, the number of acres available for rent in the area and the demand of rental land. The guide includes rates of crop and pasture land by acre, crop land by yield, pasture by stocking rate, and rates for farm buildings.

For more detailed information or a copy of MU Extension publication, 2018 Cash Rental Rates (PDF) in Missouri visit your local MU Extension office.


Farmland Values 

Here are several documents to gain perspective into farmland values. These documents are either based on Ag Census or survey data because in Missouri, it is not a requirement to report land sale prices to any specific government or public agency. 


Custom Rate Survey

These documents represent survey data compiled by the Extension and Outreach Departments from the University of Missouri and Iowa State University (respectively) 


Soil Testing

Avoid excessive fertilizer use, and guard against nutrient loss. A soil test shows exactly how much lime and fertilizer a lawn or garden needs. Science-based, reliable analysis and unbiased recommendations let you escape hit-or-miss gardening and lawn care. Contact the Nodaway County Extension office today to find out how to collect a sample to bring in for analysis. The analysis is done at the University of Missouri Soil and Plant Testing Laboratory in Columbia at a cost of $20.


Flood resources at your fingertips

Get research-based information to help you recover. MU Extension's Floods site has the tools you need. Find help locally with the NW Missouri Flood Response and Recovery Contacts (PDF). For flood recovery information check out the Extension Missouri Flood Facebook Page.


Trees add value to your landscape

Trees can provide your home with shade, wind protection and visual appeal. They can reduce energy costs, provide recreation for children and habitat for wildlife.

Newly planted trees need special attention, and not all trees are suitable for all conditions. MU Extension’s horticulture experts have developed a series of publications to help you choose the right tree and get it established.

MU Extension publication G6800, Selecting Landscape Plants: Shade Trees

MU Extension publication G6805, Selecting Landscape Plants: Flowering Trees

MU Extension publication G6810, Selecting Landscape Plants: Uncommon Trees for Specimen Plantings

MU Extension publication G6815, Selecting Landscape Plants: Needled Evergreens

MU Extension publication G6820, Selecting Landscape Plants: Broad-leaved Evergreens

MU Extension publication G6850, How to Plant a Tree


A Farm Woman's Involvement in the Farm: Women in Boots

By Randa Doty, Agriculture Business Specialist

Farm women take on many roles on the family farm.  She may be the caretaker of the children. She may work off the farm and not have an interest in the daily operation of the farm. She may be the principle operator, or could operate the farm in partnership with her husband. A woman’s role on the farm is not the same from one operation to another. The only similarity between every farm woman is that she needs to be aware and educated about operating the family farm.

A farm woman is tied tightly to the farming operation, whether she is a daily partner or not. Farm families depend on the farm as a source of income and a way of life. There are often misconceptions that if a family member does not work on the farm then they do not need to know anything about it.  That is wrong. If something happens to the primary farm operator, the operation will still need to be managed and possibly be distributed to heirs.  Crops will still need to be tended, harvested and marketed. Livestock will need to be fed, cared for, and marketed. Also, if the operation is involved in any leases, those lease terms will still need to be honored.

Estate planning is often ignored because we all have a sense of “my partner will always be here.” The reality is that anything can happen when you least expect it, whether you are young or old. The state has a probate law that distributes property if one of the farm partners passes away. What happens if the state’s plan is not what you want?  Every farm family should have a plan on how their farm and property will be distributed in the case of a death. There are many ways that property can be passed on to the next generation, but it takes time and planning to properly do this.  It is important to consult a good attorney, financial counselors, and any other advisors that you trust in this process.

Another thing to consider is crop insurance. Crop insurance is confusing, but it is an important part of operating a farm. There are many types of crop insurance and the rules seem to be changing every year. It is important that those involved in the operation know where the policies are filed and learn about the type of coverage your operation purchases and why.  It would also be helpful to develop a relationship with the operation’s insurance representative and to be involved in the conversations when decisions are made about what type to purchase.

University of Missouri Extension offers several programs throughout the year that target farm women to help them become better business partners on the farm. Agriculture Business Specialists have been offering a program called Annie’s Project across the state for several years. There have been hundreds of graduates that are now better able to help make decisions on the farm because of this program.

To find more about this program or the Annie’s Project program contact Randa Doty at 660-582-8101 or email Randa at