Using and Preserving Zucchini and Summer Squash
Zucchini squash is one of the most popular summer squashes. It offers a variety in
eating from snacks to desserts. For preparation ideas try one of the following...
- Serve sliced along with other vegetables and low fat dip for an appetizer or snack.
- Slice into a tossed vegetable salad.
- Marinate with other vegetables in a low fat Italian dressing for a side salad.
- Add to any stir-fry vegetable or main dish.
- Slice, steam and sprinkle with a small amount of Parmesan cheese and seasonings.
- Shred into quick bread or muffins.
- Add shredded squash, along with shredded carrots, into meatloaf for added nutritional
Do you have an abundance of squash? Try preserving it in the following way...
- Freezing - Select squash when 5 to 7 inches long and rind is tender and seeds small.
Simply wash and cut in pieces. Blanch 1/4-inch slices 3 minutes and 1 1/2-inch slices for
6 minutes. Chill immediately in ice water, pack in freezer containers, date and freeze.
Source: Freezing Fruits and
Vegetables, Cooperative Extension Service, KSU and Ball Blue Book, Guide to Home
Canning, Freezing and Dehydration.
Lori Wuellner, LWuellne@oznet.ksu.edu
County Extension Agent, Family and Consumer Services
Wyandotte County, Kansas
Kansas State University Research and Extension